The gallbladder is a small-sized organ just under the liver, on the right side of the abdomen. In this gallbladder, a type of digestive fluid is found, called bile. Bile is released in the small intestine. However, gallbladder stones are these hardened remains of bile. Excessive accumulation of hardened biles is responsible for gallbladder stones.
Symptoms: Gallbladder stones do not always show prominent symptoms or signs. So, it is not possible every time to become aware of that initially. Some of the common symptoms of gallbladder stones in nutshell include:
- Backache between the shoulder blades.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Intense pain at the right side of the abdomen. The pain is, in general cases, sudden and rapid.
- Intense pain in the middle part of the abdomen, under the breast bone.
- Pain in the right shoulder.
Till now, the reasons for gallbladder stones are not quite clear. Scientists are still researching the causes that are responsible for gallbladder stones. However, it is thought that gallbladder stones may happen because of:
- Too Much Cholesterol in Bile: Bile in our body contains an adequate number of chemicals to break up the cholesterol that is discharged by the liver. When the liver discharges more cholesterol than the average limit then the bile will dissolve. The remaining excessive cholesterol will be turned into crystals and gradually it will be turned into stones. This cause is hard to solve and there is no remedy to be precautious about that.
- Too Much Bilirubin in Bile: The production of excessive bilirubin in our body is harmful and can cause gallbladder stones. Bilirubin is a type of chemical when the red blood cells are broken down by the body. But in some abnormal situations like cirrhosis, blood disorders, or biliary tract infections our body breaks down red blood cells. As a result, bilirubin is produced in excessive amounts by the liver. This bilirubin is responsible for forming gallbladder stones.
- Gallbladder Stasis: A healthy gallbladder when functions effectively can remove bile when necessary. But when it doesn’t function properly, some bile would remain there. The small intestine works to give a signal to the gallbladder to send bile when necessary. But an inefficient gallbladder cannot function this signal properly. So the remaining bile stored at the bottom of the gallbladder gradually crystallizes and forms stones.
Some preventive measures can be taken to reduce the chance of gallbladder stones.
- Try not to skip meals and advise fasting on the regular basis.
- Get habituated to foods rich in fiber.
- Maintain a healthy weight and lose weight slowly, not abruptly.
Gallbladder stones are common and you do not have to worry about them very much. But if diagnosed, you have to take medicines regularly or it will become dangerous. If you want to know the costs of Gallbladder Stones visit us today!