Hernia is a common medical condition that affects millions of people globally. In India, the prevalence of hernia is estimated to be around 1-2% of the population. While hernias can be treated using non-surgical methods in some cases, surgery is often the best solution to repair the weakened or torn muscles and tissues.
If you are planning to undergo hernia surgery in India, it is important to understand the cost of the procedure. In this blog post, we will discuss the average hernia surgery cost in Indian rupees and provide tips to save money without compromising on the quality of care.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Hernia Surgery in India
Several factors can affect the cost of hernia surgery in India. These include:
- Type of Hernia: The cost of surgery depends on the type of hernia you have. In general, complex hernias cost more to treat than simple hernias.
- Hospital Location: The cost of hernia surgery varies depending on the hospital’s location. Hospitals in metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore tend to be more expensive than hospitals in smaller cities or towns.
- Surgeon’s Expertise: The surgeon’s expertise and experience can also affect the cost of hernia surgery. Experienced surgeons tend to charge more than those who are just starting in the field.
- Treatment Method: Laparoscopic surgery is generally more expensive than open surgery.
Average Hernia Surgery Cost in Indian Rupees
The cost of hernia surgery in India can vary depending on several factors, including the type of surgery, the hospital or clinic, the location, and the surgeon’s experience. Generally, the cost of hernia surgery in India ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 2,50,000. Here is a breakdown of the average cost of hernia surgery in Indian Rupees by type:
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair: INR 60,000 to INR 1,50,000
- Open Hernia Repair: INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000
- Robotic Hernia Repair: INR 1,50,000 to INR 2,50,000
Note that these are only approximate costs, and the actual cost may vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier. It is always best to consult with your doctor and get a detailed quote before deciding on the surgery.
Tips to Save Money on Hernia Surgery in India
While hernia surgery can be expensive, there are ways to save money without compromising on the quality of care. Here are some tips to consider:
- Choose a hospital or clinic that offers affordable rates without compromising on the quality of care. Do your research, read reviews, and ask for recommendations from your doctor or friends and family.
- Check if your insurance covers the cost of hernia surgery. If yes, find out the hospitals or clinics that are covered under your insurance plan.
- Consider traveling to a different city or state for the surgery. Hospitals and clinics in smaller cities or towns may offer lower rates than those in metropolitan areas.
- Negotiate with the hospital or clinic for a lower rate. Sometimes, they may be willing to reduce the cost if you pay in cash or if you have a good credit score.
- Consider opting for laparoscopic hernia surgery, which is less invasive and has a shorter recovery time than open surgery. It may cost slightly more, but the benefits may outweigh the additional cost.
How to Prepare for Hernia Surgery
Here are some tips to help you prepare for hernia surgery:
- Consult with your doctor: Your doctor will guide you on how to prepare for surgery, including any necessary tests, medications to avoid, and dietary restrictions.
- Arrange for someone to assist you: You will need someone to drive you home after surgery and to help you with daily activities as you recover.
- Follow pre-surgery instructions: Follow any instructions your doctor gives you before surgery, such as fasting or avoiding certain medications.
- Plan for recovery: Make sure you have time off work or other obligations to recover fully.
How long does it take to recover from hernia surgery?
The recovery time depends on the type of hernia surgery you undergo. In general, you may need to take a few weeks off work and avoid strenuous activities for a few months after the surgery.
Is hernia surgery covered under insurance?
Yes, hernia surgery is typically covered by health insurance in India. However, you should check with your insurance provider to see what your policy covers.